Klášterec nad Ohří – The Historic Town of 1998
The town of Klášterec nad Ohří lies in a valley between the Ohře River and the Doupovské hory and the Ore Mountains (Krušné hory). In 1792, the third largest porcelain factory in Bohemia was opened here and Thune porcelain has been made there ever since. In 1883, the Evženie spring was discovered and as a result, a spa complex that has recently been restored, was founded. The town’s dominating feature is a four-wing Neo-gothic chateau. A number of interesting cultural events is held in the historic center all read round.
The Tourist and Information Center and the Kryt Gallery
nám. Dr. E. Beneše 86, 431 51 Klášterec nad Ohří
The Klášterec nad Ohří Castle
The castle is located on the left bank of the Ohře River, surrounded by a 10 hectare dendrologically precious 19th century English park. The park contains 220 tree species from all over the world.
The Church of the Holy Trinity
The Church of the Holy Trinity below the square was built in Baroque style according to a design by the famous Italian architect Carlo Lurago. The church contains the Thune tomb and a unique porcelain family tree.
The Church of St Mary Consolation
The cemetery Church of St Mary Consolation was built in the rococo style between 1743 and 1760 by Kadaň builder Jan Kryštof Kosch.
The Dr. E. Beneš Town Hall and Náměstí
The Neo-renaissance town hall has an octagonal battlemented tower. In the middle of Dr. E. Beneš Square is the Lion Fountain by Jan Brokoff with the Holy Trinity Column rising above. The column is incorrectly referred to as a plague column, but in fact it was erected as acknowledgment that the town was not terrorized by plague.
This a one-story early Baroque belvedere with a terrace and an arcade corridor located opposite the castle. The statues and busts are by Jan Brokoff.
Do not miss:
The Evženie Spa
The Evženie Spa (specializing in physical therapy and blood vessels) features a promenade under a wooden colonnade, a bath house, a filling room for three mineral springs, a restaurant, a café, B& B and a park.
The aquapark was built in 1998 outside the town. It offers many different attractions and Aqua Zorbing (walking in a plastic ball on the surface of the water).
The Kryt Gallery
The gallery is placed in the Tourist and Information Center located in the square. Exhibitions of works by both local and renowned artists and opening nights are held all year round.
Make sure to visit other historic towns :
The town of Kadaň lies in a region where the Ohře River leaves the Ore Mountains (Krušné hory) and Doupovské hory. The status of a free royal town was granted to Kadaň around 1259 and in 1277, the local castle became seat of the Kadaň Region’s burgrave. The town prospered most under Emperor Charles IV, who paid two visits to Kadaň. In 1978, Kadaň was proclaimed an urban monument zone.
The information Center and the Josef Liesler Gallery
Mírové náměstí 1, 432 01 Kadaň
The Town Hall
The original Gothic town hall was built in the first half of the 14th century. Only a 53.7 m town hall tower has remained. The tower was built by Petr Hündt who signed his name under a dog’s statue. The tower is open to visitors only from May to September on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
The Franciscan Monastery (národní kulturní památka)
Since 2004, the monastery with the Church of Fourteen Holy Helpers has housed a museum focused on urban monument preservation area, the cult of Fourteen Holy Helpers and partially the life of Franciscan monks. Franciscan Summer is annually held in the monastery.
The town of Chomutov was founded in the 13th century on a trade route over the Ore Mountains from Prague to Leipzig. After 1252, it was the seat of the Order of the German Knights – today it is the town hall. In 1411, the town was taken over by King Wenceslas IV. After 1605, Chomutov became a royal town. The entire historic center has been preserved and proclaimed an urban monument zone. Places of interest include Kamencové Lake, Podkrušnohorský ZOO Park and Bezručovo údolí Valley along the Upper Chomutovka River.
Information center – Infocentrum
Chelčického 99, 430 28, Chomutov
The Town Tower
The tower was finished after 1525 over an older hall richly decorated with a diamond vault.
The Church of St Catherine
Its oldest portion dates back to the 13th century. The large presbytery, used today to enter the square, was built in 1281.
Historians believe the town was founded in the early 13th century by Slávek from the Hrabišic Family. The original name Zlaukowerde was later changed to Schlackenwerth, i.e Slávek’s Island , (in Czech “Ostrov”). After the end of WWII, the town quickly developed due to intensive uranium ore mining in nearby Jáchymov. A vast panel housing development was built in the “social realism” style. In 1992, the historic center of Ostrov was proclaimed an urban monument zone.
The Ostrov Culture House
Mírové nám. 733, 363 01 Ostrov
The oldest architectonic sight is the Cemetery Church of St Jacob Greater (1224-1226). After being refurbished, the memorable set of Baroque buildings within the monastery, referred to as the Holy Precinct, is the most sought-after place. The Holy Precinct includes the Piarist College with the Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary (1666-71). The Chapel of St Anne, which is also the mausoleum of the Dukes of Saxon and Lauenburg and the Margraves of Baden, is one of the oldest Baroque structures in Bohemia. Other structures within the Holy Precinct include the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows, the Chapel of St Mary Einsiedeln, the Chapel of St Florian and a gloriette in the monasterial garden. Within the urban monument zone, be sure not to miss the castle park with its belvedere, which used to be referred to as the eighth wonder of world, the Old Town Hall and the Church of St Michael. The Culture House, located in the new part of the town, is a typical example of social realism, sometimes called “Sorela”. This imposing building was erected at the head of Mírové náměstí between 1954 and 1955. It is dominated by a group of sculptures with a miner, a female mower and a student by academic sculptor Jaroslav Šlezinger, who was imprisoned in the nearly Vykmanov labor camp.
Jáchymov is the gate to the western Ore Mountains. It owes its rich history to the discovery of silver in 1516. In 1519, silver coins called talers, predecessors of US dollars, started to be minted here. Once the therapeutic benefits of radon water were discovered, the oldest radon spa in the world was founded in Jáchymov. The spa specializes in range of motion treatment. The surroundings and nature of the western Krušné hory Mountains provides a wide range of leisure time opportunities all year round.
Tourist information center
náměstí Republiky 1, 362 51 Jáchymov
The Royal Mint Museum
The museum features an exhibition of geology and mineralogy, 16th century ore mining, numismatics, coinage, a spa and a labor camp exposition.
The Hospital Church
The Hospital Church with its altar by Lucas Cranach is the oldest preserved early Renaissance structure in Jáchymov. The church is usually not open to the public; a tour can be arranged upon agreement in the Information Center.
Karlovy Vary lies in western part of the Czech Republic, approximately 120 km from Prague, on the confluence of the Teplá and Ohře Rivers. It is the largest and best known spa town in the Czech Republic. Time-proven thermal baths, mineral water drinking treatments and modern methods are used. The city offers numerous cultural and sports events. One of the most popular is the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, which attracts film lovers from all over the world every year.
Information center – Infocentrum
Infocentrum města Karlovy Vary o.p.s.
pobočka Lázně III, Mlýnské nábřeží 5, 360 01 Karlovy Vary
The Mill Colonnade (1871 - 1881, Josef Zítek)
This renowned Neo-renaissance 132-meter long colonnade was built by the same architect who built the National Theater in Prague.
Bath V – The Elizabethan Bath (1906)
Refurbished in 2004 by the Drobny architect studio, this spa, named after Empress Elizabeth, (a.k.a. Sissi), is the largest bath house in the Czech Republic. Both spa and physiotherapeutic treatments such as baths, peat wraps, crymotherapy and other procedures are provided. This location also has a swimming pool, a salt cave, etc.